Andrew's Optimism

Today Andrew (unknowingly) taught me a lesson that I don't want to forget. A good life lesson here or there deserves a blog post in my opinion! I feel awkward writing a "serious" post since most of my writing is either always sarcastic or always hilarious. (I crack myself up sometimes...)

I arrived home from work today and Andrew walked out to meet me in the garage and help me with my bags (as he does every night. A gem, he is.) We sat in the kitchen to wind down. He wouldn't tell you, but for the past few weeks he's been completely consumed and busy and overwhelmed with school, and I know he's stressed because he's been picking at his stray eyebrow hairs a lot lately (a funny quirk of his that I love.) We sat in the kitchen and caught up on the happenings of the day as we normally do. The ups and downs. Embarrassing things. Motivating things. Things we thought were weird. The usual. 

I could tell Andrew was feeling burned out, I could just see it in his face, his furrowed brow, and his demeanor. I asked him how he was really feeling because he rarely, if ever, complains about things he has going on. He took a deep breath and then proceeded to tell me about his day. I braced myself for his complaints and his frustrations, and prepped myself inwardly for things I could say to sympathize and agree with all his thought barf he was about to upchuck...(how's that for an analogy?)

I'll never forget what he said, during this stressful, busy, monotonous time in his life right now. It went something like this:

"You know, today I got to a point where I started to feel overwhelmed. I walked out of our office (at our house where he studies) and stood by the front door of our house. Then I took a step back and imagined myself at the age of 20. On my mission, no idea where my life would end up, who I would marry, what I would become. I imagined myself walking through the front door of our house, looking in our office and seeing all my law school books, and seeing that I'd go to BYU for law school. 

I imagined myself looking around our house, and being overwhelmed that this was my house and what we've done to make it our own. 

I imagined myself walking over to the fireplace, enticed by a wedding picture, wondering 'who did I marry' and seeing Stephanie Sampson and not believing it. I could have never dreamt my life would turn out as it has."

Andrew doesn't know this but this conversation tonight in our little house nearly brought me to tears. How I wish I could have his optimism in times when I am overwhelmed or going through life trials. What I would give to be able to always keep things in perspective and see the big picture, especially when I'm in a rut.

Tonight I looked at Andrew with full love and admiration, and knew that no matter what he does, he will be successful. Success can have a lot of different meanings depending on who you ask. In my opinion success means happiness, contentment with life, and genuine, long-lasting relationships with people. 

It's a cool feeling to be able to look across the room at the person you're married to and after almost 4 years of being together, be completely blown away by the profound things they say. I look up to Andrew and the person he is. He makes me better and he makes me appreciate life. He drives me crazy and I drive him crazy, and not always in good ways. We fight and we get really mad at each other on occasion. Life isn't always the rainbows and butterflies we so often portray in small, incomplete glimpses of Instagram posts and Facebook updates. But we get over our issues and we grow in our love, and more importantly, our friendship and respect for each other.

From Andrew I've learned life is what you make out of it. The decisions you make and the attitude you have, in times of good or bad, is what will define who you are. 


Thanks for the lesson babe. You'll make a great coach one day. ;)

xoxo
steph

Comments

Popular Posts