Hoop Time!

Last weekend was a big day for us, one I hope to remember for a long time. We had our very own basketball installed in our house and it was such a party. We're just making dreams come true left and right over here.

Andrew and I both grew up with a love for basketball. When I was around 4 years old I still remember going over to my neighbors across the street and shooting hoops in their yard. I was one of the few girls in the neighborhood and wanted so badly to be one of the boys. I was convinced if I could get good enough they would let me play with them. So I started practicing - over and over and over. I started dribbling, then shooting, then both. After a while I was one of the boys, and I have the greatest memories growing up playing basketball and learning the game from the neighborhood crew. 

I got my first "real" hoop when I was 5 years old and I'll never forget being in the garage with my dad (it was March and was freezing) and having him assemble it for me that night so I could play on it. I was so excited to get out there and the sound of a ball bouncing will forevermore remind me of my dad. I would shoot outside for hours growing up and any time I ever asked him to come out and play with me he never hesitated. Looking back now I realize I also took for granted the fact that he never asked me to go play. Both my parents were awesome at never making me practice or pushing me. Now that I'm older I realize how cool this was. They just encouraged me and seriously couldn't care less if I was good or not. How I hope I can be that awesome with my kids one day! 

Andrew and I met when we were about 10 years old playing super league basketball on the same team. His dad was our coach and we both loved the game! Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that SIXTEEN years later we'd be married and installing a monster basketball hoop for our own kids to grow up on. I can't wait for all the memories that lie ahead on this court!

We had so much fun putting this hoop up and luckily have amazing neighbors to help us. Just the backboard alone was over 300 pounds so it was a beast. Andrew's family came over to help as well and his mom and sister and I had fun laying around the court and hanging out while it all came together (we were there for moral support). It went surprisingly smooth and only took about an hour (we had the concrete poured for the base about a week ago so the hard part was already done!) The only hiccup was my fault - I was supposed to slip a pin in when they lifted the hoop up into place and I totally panicked and couldn't get it in. Our amazing neighbor Siua took over though and we got it put together. It was so much fun and I was like a giddy little schoolgirl seeing it come together. We were nerds and fought over who would take "the first shot" and Andrew won. 




Like I said, super smooth and we've already had SO much fun on it. The night we got it up we played our first game of horse (much to Andrew's horror I beat him) and we have had a lot of intense "tornado" battles with all our neighbors. 

Can't wait for all the memories that lie ahead on this beauty!

xoxo
-steph

Comments

Popular Posts