Welcome to the World!

I can't believe it really happened! After going 8 days past my due date I had a baby and am officially a mom. It still doesn't seem real! We welcomed Chance Thomas Christensen to the world on Monday, October 10th at 2:16pm. He was a whopping 8 pounds 13 ounces and 20 inches long. 

I was scheduled to be induced on Monday the 10th but started having regular contractions on Sunday night around 7pm. We finally decided to go to the hospital around 12am since my contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart. When we got there I wasn't dilated past a 3 so we decided to start me on Pitocin and get me going (since I was going to be induced the next morning anyways). I opted out of an epidural at first because the contractions weren't too painful or difficult to work through. I labored in the hospital for about 7 hours, and when I was still only dilated to a 4 they decided to break my water.

Just before they broke my water I started having some reallllly bad back pain, like the worst I've ever felt in my life. It scared me pretty bad and the doctor said it was only going to get worse since the baby was posterior. I decided then to get an epidural and I am SO glad I did because once I had the epidural the whole experience was so enjoyable. After they broke my water I dilated from a 4-10 in about an hour and a half and was ready to start pushing!

Once we started pushing it was actually fun - everyone was so encouraging and Andrew just kept saying "good job, good job, that was a good one!" At one point after about an hour and a half of pushing I told him not to say good job unless it really was a good one! We were laughing and having a lot of fun while I pushed and it felt like just a really good workout. After each push Andrew would give me a drink of water, I wasn't thirsty it was just tradition haha and then I would push again. I started to get a little overwhelmed after about an hour and a half when I hadn't made much progress and was starting to get really tired. Everyone kept saying "we can see the start of his head, you're doing so good." I honestly didn't believe them and kept saying "you nice nurses are big fat liars!" One of the nurses suggested they bring in a mirror so I could see what they were talking about and that ended up being one of the coolest parts of giving birth. They rolled this huge mirror into the room and I was able to see the whole thing. Once I saw that I was really making progress I got a second wind and became so determined and pushed that baby right out of me. 

Experiencing my body giving birth was one of the coolest things I've ever been through. The labor and delivery wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be (thanks to the epidural!) and I was surprised how much fun we had through the whole thing. We had some of the greatest nurses who took such good care of me I felt like we were all best friends by the end of the ordeal. When Chance finally arrived they put him right on me and the first thing I thought was "holy crap he's huge!" He had rolls on his arms and legs and was the most perfect pink little giant baby I'd ever seen. I surprised myself how instantly overcome with love and emotion I became and I cried and said a small prayer of thanks when I saw him.

Once that sweet moment passed the second thing I thought was "holy crap...his head." Andrew and I nervously looked at each other and then Andrew says "Perfect, he looks like Frankenstein, just in time for Halloween!" It was so hilarious and I'm sure the nurses and doctor thought we were the worst parents ever. It was amazing and I will laugh about that forever more.

Meeting Chance was one of the best things I've ever done, and only made me fall deeper in love with Andrew. I just stare at this baby and think how cool it was that our love made a tiny little person who is now part him and part me. I can't believe how much I love my boys and how blessed I am, the whole experience has been really amazing.

Here are a few photos from the hospital and our first few moments with Chance:
^^don't ask...^^


Oh how we love this baby! 

xoxo
-steph

Comments

Popular Posts